Primarily responsible for supporting oilfield operations. This is a diverse position with a variety of job duties.
Students in Roustabout Operator are trained in the following subject areas:
- Clean up spilled oil by bailing it into barrels.
- Unscrew or tighten pipes, casing, tubing, and pump rods, using hand and power wrenches and tongs.
- Bolt together pump and engine parts.
- Walk flow lines to locate leaks, using electronic detectors and making visual inspections.
- Move pipes to and from trucks, using truck winches and motorized lifts, or by hand.
- Dismantle and repair oil field machinery, boilers, and steam engine parts, using hand tools and power tools.
Before entering the program, students must:
- Complete all required activity in the Career Preparation Period, including Career Exploration and Career Success/Workplace Skills.
- Meet basic academic requirements in math and reading.
As a Job Corps student, you will have the opportunity to earn credentials in your training area that may lead to greater employment opportunities, higher wages, and promotions.
While on the job, you will be expected to display the following traits at all times:
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinking
- Monitoring skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Steady hands and fingers
Roustabout Operator Numbers to Know
National average earning potential for this career
Completion times vary by training area. Check with your admissions advisor.
Centers offering training in this program