Advanced Solar PV and Thermal System Installer
RENEWABLE RESOURCES AND ENERGY
At the forefront of the growing green economy, a solar PV and thermal system installer directs work crews for installation on residential and commercial solar photovoltaic or thermal systems.
Students in Advanced Solar PV and Thermal System Installer are trained in the following subject areas:
- Hand and power tools
- Construction math and industry vocabulary
- Solar energy and system fundamentals
- Electricity and energy basics
- Site assessments
- Installing solar thermal collectors, water heaters, storage tanks, piping, pipe insulation, and connecting system piping
- Installing thermal system operation and identification tags and labels
- Performing solar thermal system checkouts
- Installing solar PV panels, arrays, and subsystems
- Solar PV system electrical and design
- Inspecting, maintaining, and troubleshooting systems
- Siting, sizing, and materials
Before entering the program, students must:
- Complete one of the following Job Corps basic career technical training programs: Carpentry; Electrical; Facilities Maintenance; Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC); or Plumbing.
- Have Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 10-Hour Training certificate.
- Meet basic academic requirements in math and reading.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Have a positive attendance and progress record.
- Have a positive behavior record with no major incidents in the past 90 days.
- Have a valid driver’s license or no barriers to receiving a license while enrolled.
- Have health clearance from the Job Corps center where they received basic training.
- Meet strenuous physical requirements.
- Pass an entrance exam.
- Complete a successful phone, in-person, or videoconference interview.
As a Job Corps student, you will have the opportunity to earn credentials in your training area that may lead to greater employment opportunities, higher wages, and promotions.
While on the job, you will be expected to display the following traits at all times:
- Attention to detail
- Commitment to safety
- Physical endurance
Advanced Solar PV and Thermal System Installer Numbers to Know
National average earning potential for this career
Completion times vary by training area. Check with your admissions advisor.
Centers offering training in this program